Hello everyone and welcome back to The JC Effect! Today I’m coming to you with no makeup, my natural hair, and a casual outfit because I want to talk a little bit about self-love.
This day in age it’s all about having our eyebrows on fleek, highlight on point, flawless skin, and perfect hair just so we can be #GOALS like our favorite Instagram baddie(s). There’s nothing necessarily wrong with wanting to improve your physical appearance but we shouldn’t get so caught up in it that we forget about what’s on the inside. Social media is filled with people who post their best moments so every single time you compare your reality to someone’s Instagram or Twitter feed, you will lose.
“How can I win?? I want to WIN!”
“You covet (desire strongly) but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God.” – James 4:2 [NIV]
The solution is actually very simple: Focus on yourself. If you took all of the time you spent playing the comparison game with people you don’t know and started spending it on improving your own life, you will win EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. You will begin to love yourself for who you truly are and your eyes will clearly see YOUR blessings because you are no longer taking the time to count someone else’s.
You might as well love yourself because that’s the one person you can not get away from – JC
Since it’s summertime, I want to use this extra time to finally do all of the things I’ve been wanting to do since the beginning of the year and they are as follows:
- Continue to pray when I wake up in the morning and refresh my prayer list weekly.
- Read my devotional every day. The one I’m reading has definitely changed the way I look at the Bible.
- Spend at least 30 minutes a day listening to something Christ-related (i.e. gospel music, YouTube sermons, Christian audiobook). Here’s my favorite playlist if you want to check that out.
- I will workout at least 3 times a week. Here’s my workout plan.
- I will drink at least 1 bottle of water a day and steer clear of fast food.
- I will wear my retainer (LOL!).
- I will write down 5 things I’m grateful for at the end of every day.
- I will speak to Christ about my troubles before I speak to people.
- I will be more cautious when I speak because “death and life are in the power of the tongue” (Proverbs 18:21).
- I will no longer spend my money on frivolous things.
Feel free to join me and modify this list to suit your specific wants. Grow & Glow Season is from June 1 to August 31 so you have a few days to figure out what you would like to accomplish during these next 3 months. I’ll be posting updates every 30 days also.
If you will be participating in Grow & Glow Season, comment “I’m in!” below. That way we can all support and motivate one another during this season of growth.
Peace & Love,